Wednesday, May 05, 2010

birthdays are part of our identity

Tuesday, 4 May 2010 - Today is my brother Glenn’s birthday. He’s 60. I don’t feel like he is 60, ha, ha. (Actually I don’t feel like it’s “right” that he’s 60 – that makes me…!) I remember when we were in college and the student demonstration at Kent State University ended up with the National Guard killing 4, on the 4th of May: KSU4! It is hard to have heavy things happen on your birthday. My heart goes out to my brother for that.

I love my brother. I admire him. He’s pretty amazing. I look up to him because he is his own person. I admire him because he surfs and plays music and sings, and he can think. I hope he still thinks. We are at opposite ends of the country & I don't get to talk with him much :-( I appreciate that he’s the eldest of the three of us, and I know that I don’t understand what he went through in our family dynamics, but I appreciate that he’s the big brother. I don’t know where I would be without him. I’m the youngest.

When researching my family history I look at birthdays, and what else is near their birthday & wonder how they related to those events. Maybe it’s projecting, but I think it may be a human condition to think about our place in the world, acknowledging that we are where we are, when we are. I keep a journal, and now this blog, and I wonder what my family members wondered about.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 4:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel the same way about my brother. I can't tell you how important our relationship became when my father suddenly passed. That is the point in time when you are really grateful to have a sibling.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home