Sunday, May 02, 2010

priorities

I am posting twice today, because I forgot to do it yesterday, and I have committed to the Blog-Every-Day-in-May thing. I am trying it, notwithstanding everything else that is going on in my life right now!

Priorities
I am downsizing. I have some friends who have moved into a 5th wheel, to economize and simplify their lives. I have another friend who got rid of half her stuff when she was getting ready to move to Oregon. She told me about something in Zen-practice - something about 137 things - that's all you need to have in a life - 137 things at one time. A pencil, 1, another pencil is 2! And so it goes - tradeoffs. I have been thinking about that - priorities is the key here?

Genealogy is a big priority for me. I have lots of genealogy notebooks in boxes here and there, and the genealogy on my computer, and what I have posted to the Web, and on it goes. I have a backup of my file on my flash drive, and I send a back up away from time to time to archive outside of My basket. I think better than that though would be to get published. I would like to get to a point that I felt like the important things had been completed to a point that they could be "officially" shared & then I could put away the paper files into a safe place, and maybe not feel like I still had to sit on the nest and protect them.

Genealogy is an important priority for me, but I have other priorities, too. (Abraham Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs) If I could only have 137 things, one would be a particular notebook of my mother's with all my direct lines as far back as they went at that time, and another would be a back up of my PAF file on my flash drive. Beyond that? I am working on that list. Gotta keep your priorities straight....

2 Comments:

At 8:08 PM, Blogger Rachel said...

My grandmother was always so excited about tracing back her familial lines-back into Czechoslovakia. She was able to locate documents about which ancestors landed at Ellis Island, and even spoke some Czech as a child. It is amazing what can be found these days with the internet, but also what a long and arduous process it all is. Hang in there! One step at a time! Just like blogging every day (which I'm doing too. My mother in law told me a great quote I'm intending on stenciling on my office wall: "How do you eat an elephant?"....One bite at a time.

 
At 10:13 PM, Blogger Damaris Fish said...

Rachel, Thank you. In cleaning house I have turned up that particular notebook from my mother. I do feel a lot better! Here is an interesting article about Genealogy and DNA testing in the Czech Republic. Damaris Fish
http://www.eyeondna.com/2007/07/03/dr-marek-minarik-of-genomac-on-genealogy-dna-testing-in-the-czech-republic/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home